Wow, I can’t believe that 2017 is almost here already and it’s time to set new goals and resolutions! This year went by really quickly in some ways, and really slowly in others. 2016 was a whirlwind for me in lots of ways (I finished school, moved to a new city, started a new job), and I think back to this time last year and I feel like I’ve definitely aged more than 365 days. I guess some years are like that, aren’t they?
Today I thought I’d push my comfort levels a little and share a personal post with you all. Not anything too serious, just some of my resolutions and goals for the coming year. I always love getting insights into other people’s thoughts and emotions (especially when they usually write about other things), so I thought I would provide a few of my own today. If you don’t like this kind of thing, don’t worry! The regular fashion and money saving posts will be back next week 🙂
I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish this year and what my hopes are for 2017. I have to admit that there are lots of things I’d like to accomplish, to the point where it seems a bit overwhelming when I think of everything in detail. But after lots of thinking, I’ve decided that my ultimate goal is to get better at putting myself first. I’m the kind of person who is definitely a people pleaser and I have a tendency to put everyone else’s needs before my own. This year I will try to focus more on myself by doing what makes me happy and brings me joy. Since that’s a fairly large and lofty goal, I created some smaller, more manageable goals to help me accomplish everything.
Resolutions & Goals for 2017
- I practice more empathy in my day-to-day life, using both small (such as giving out more random compliments) and large (volunteering & advocating) gestures to help make the world a better place.
- I will exercise 3-4 times a week doing activities that I really enjoy, such as yoga and spin class (this isn’t a weight loss goal, more of a overall health goal).
- I work towards eating an 80/20 diet 6 days a week (again, not a weight loss goal. More of a you-need-to-stop-baking-12-cookies-and-eating-10-of-them kind of thing, because that’s bound to catch up with me sometime 😉 ).
- I practice meditation 3 times a week in the morning before work to prepare for a happy and productive day.
- I include the mantra “effort is better than perfection” into my daily life, because that’s something I definitely struggle with currently.
- I get engaged to my boyfriend & adopt a puppy at some point throughout this year! (very exciting!!)
- I reach 10,000 blog hits per month by September.
As you can tell, I’m really going to be doing a lot of introspection and self work this year, along with a few other things (hello, that massive blogging goal!). I love fresh starts and I always find it helpful to set intentions, even if I’m not perfect at them all the time (in comes goal #5).
Do you believe in setting New Year’s Resolutions? I’d love to hear what some of your goals are in the comments below 🙂 I love writing mine down in a place where I see them everyday to help keep me on track. Sharing them on my blog will also help me stay accountable since I’m planning on doing a 6-month and 1 year review to share my progress in each area. I have a feeling that 2017 is going to be a great year – I can’t wait to see what it holds!